International Energy Company
Protecting against outages with better event management
International energy company that aims to meet the world’s growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. They are active in every area of the oil and gas industry, including exploration, production, refining, transport, distribution and marketing, petrochemicals, power generation, and trading.
With more than 350 critical applications with a massive cost profile, any outage would incur significant risk to the business. It was very apparent that the technology stack that these applications relied on was becoming more and more complex.
New tools were being introduced to help, but in turn made it more difficult to identify and resolve problems as they occurred. The IT leadership team was tasked to come up with a better way to proactively identify issues and automate the resolution to minimize any impact to the business.
“Moogsoft correlates infrastructure and application issues together to pinpoint the real problem. In the past, this would have taken a huge manual effort to achieve a similar result.”
The then current event management system was inadequate to handle the challenge. Even with an accurate CMDB, and with 100s of rules, it could not provide the insights and capabilities to support the business for the current and future applications being considered. IT decided to start the process of evaluating AIOps platforms that would provide a future-proof solution. Throughout the POV (proof of value), it was extremely important that any new solution could clearly demonstrate that it could replace the existing Event Management tool and work seamlessly with the ServiceNow CMDB and ITSM processes.
Moogsoft was selected based on an in-depth evaluation alongside ServiceNow and BigPanda. It was clear that Moogsoft’s AI and ML was superior, using multiple Supervised, Unsupervised, Natural Language Processing and Graph Theory techniques. Data is being ingested by multiple tools spanning the infrastructure and application layers, located both on premise and in the cloud.
Enrichment is being performed by integrating Moogsoft with the ServiceNow CMDB for enrichment purposes with automated workflows triggered for remediation and the notification to various teams and key stakeholders. Internal knowledge is used as input to the Moogsoft platform to learn and train the algorithms and drive better results.
Moogsoft now delivers an intelligent AIOps solution for IT that addresses the demands of today as well as the future.
- Very difficult to see the impacted service for a particular problem
- Could not see relationships between infrastructure and application issues
- Maintenance issues creating false/positives
- Too many resources required to maintain rules
- Impacted service is immediately identified when a problem occurs
- IT can scale to meet the needs of the business without increasing headcount
- New applications can be deployed with confidence
- Notification and escalation process improved
- Four (4) Correlation definitions replaced 1000s of rules
- Similarity based correlation
- 99% noise reduction
- AI Detected Similar Situations for reduced MTTR
- Teams given individual dashboards with focus areas
- Improved operational analytics
- SAP Solution Manager
- Oracle OEM
- New Relic
- Microsoft SCOM
- Microsoft Azure