The why and what we learned from surveying 1,900 engineering teams around their best practices to build, scale, and maintain high availability.
As a data nerd, I am a fan favorite of baseline studies and annual reports. Why? Our days are filled with day to day work, and these reports give us a great gut check to get a pulse on what similar teams are doing, challenges they are facing, and best practices they recommend.
At Moogsoft, we began the research for the inaugural State of Availability Report with the goal was to help engineering teams and leaders uncover insights and develop good practices for availability across three topics:
- KPIs: what are the best key performance indicators for engineering teams to track and measure availability today?
- Teams: what is the best way to structure engineering teams and understand daily responsibilities and challenges?
- Tools: what tools and architecture are being used by engineering teams today and how are they planning for the future?
Nearly 1,900 global respondents — ranging from engineers and managers to IT directors and C-suite executives — and a couple months of data crunching later, we are so excited to release these insights to you.
At a high level, we found that availability is more critical than ever (no surprise there) however maintaining it is a very expensive investment. Not only are companies spending on a wide array of monitoring tools, but on top of that teams are spending the majority of their time monitoring - leaving little time to do anything but. In a world where availability is a must, how can teams buy back their time so they can focus on scaling and investing in the future vs. sprinting to stand still?
We have so much more data insights, quotes from leaders in the space, and suggested steps to take in the State of Availability Report – go check it out! Need more of a teaser? Here’s some quick highlights:
- On average, 66% of the incident timeline is not actively detected. 20% are tracking MTTR averaging 30 minutes across respondents, and only 15% tracking MTTD average 2x resolution at 60 minutes across respondents
- On average, engineering teams manage 16 monitoring tools, but some organizations see up to 40 (!!!)
- Despite all the tools, 45% of engineers report customers are still reporting incidents before their tools do
About the author
Minami (Coirin) Rojas
Minami leads Digital Growth at Moogsoft. She's been a proven leader with experience optimizing B2B SaaS scaled revenue through web and self-service online acquisition channels. Outside of the business world - amateur photographer, travel lover, and mini-daschund dog mom.