Chances are, the founding team at Moogsoft know more about IBM Tivoli Netcool/OMNIbus than most. That’s probably because they invented it.
If there’s one thing that they will tell you about Netcool, it’s that Netcool is an incredible tool, relevant in the 1990’s, but irrelevant today. Netcool can deduplicate repeat events into single alerts, use filters to reduce ‘spam’ noise, and use custom rules/model to correlate different alerts together. However, modern organizations need those features to be automated with machine learning, they need massive scalability, and they need a plethora of additional features in order to detect and resolve incidents effectively. For more information on why Netcool is inadequate for modern IT, check out our first post in this three-part series, Why IBM Tivoli Netcool has been Driven to Irrelevance.
As the single largest IT infrastructure management tool in the market today, Netcool is used by enterprises and service providers across every industry and has provided incredible value towards service assurance over the years. However, Netcool customers are now looking at Moogsoft as the next-generation alternative. Moogsoft is a modern approach to event management that leverages machine-learning technologies to automate the way teams detect and manage incidents.
The problem is, how do you replace a highly fragile and customized tool that’s running across your entire infrastructure to support mission-critical services? The good news is that Moogsoft’s ultra-modern technology and Machine-learning based approach dramatically reduces deployment times to support Netcool customers in their transition away from the legacy tool, while minimizing risk and avoiding “forklifts.” Now, Moogsoft is announcing the Netcool Solution-Pak.
What is the Netcool Solution-Pak?
Moogsoft’s ‘Netcool Solution-Pak’ rapidly integrates with your existing IBM Tivoli Netcool/OMNIbus environment so you can detect and correlate anomalies from your existing event streams in real-time. Moogsoft has created the ‘Netcool Solution-Pak’ as a means for Netcool customers to immediately benefit from the value of Moogsoft without touching their Netcool deployment, allowing users to migrate away from the legacy tool at their own leisure.
As a tool that ingests operational data from across an organization’s network and infrastructure to support mission-critical services, the thought of tinkering with Netcool is frightening for certain IT organizations. This is understandable considering the thousands of custom correlation rules and probes that have been built and maintained over the years.
With the Netcool Solution-Pak, organizations can leave their Netcool deployments where they are and simply feed all of their event streams from Netcool into Moogsoft to see the value. This allows Netcool customers to access bleeding edge machine-learning technology without impacting their production event management.
Unique capabilities introduced by Moogsoft
With Moogsoft, Netcool customers can now:
- Reduce massive volumes of events and correlate them into ‘Situations’ (clusters of anomalous and related alerts) via patented unsupervised and supervised machine-learning algorithms. This is accomplished automatically and in real-time without any dependency on rules, thresholds or models.
- Visualize the full lifecycle of an incident via Moogsoft’s Situation Timeline. This allows you to immediately understand the beginning, middle and end of an Incident to pinpoint to root-cause vs. symptoms.
- Share, collaborate, and record resolutions via Moogsoft’ Situation Room (virtual war room). When a Situation is detected, Moogsoft simultaneously spins up a Situation Room and invites the appropriate domain-experts to collaborate towards remediation based on the context Moogsoft has provided. All actions taken are recorded into Moogsoft’s knowledge base for future reference
- Run external functions with built-in ChatOps functionality. With 90+ integrations, users can seamlessly interact with their entire production toolset, while maintaining Situation context to accelerate remediation.
How do we do it?
Connecting Moogsoft to Netcool is a quick and easy process, allowing you to see benefits in just days. Here’s how it works:
Day 1 – Connect
- Real-time feed into Incident.MOOG
- Does not impact production status of Netcool
- Facilitates initial workflow development, configuration & calibration
Day 2 – Configure
- Migrate users to new UI & tools
- Replicate & enhance workflow
- Dual-UI available until training/certification complete
- Temporary cut-through
- Rapidly support new feeds that would have been costly & time consuming to feed into OMNIbus
Day 3 – Audit & Begin Migration
- Audit & identify current event feeds, entity types and event types/sources
- Begin migration of original event feed from Netcool directly to Moogsoft, piece by piece
We understand that migrating off of Netcool is not as simple as a technical migration. There’s a required transition in process as well, considering that customers will be moving from manual to automated incident detection and workflows. Stay tuned for an upcoming blog on this very topic (part three, the final post in this series).
Is The Netcool Solution-Pak for you?
By implementing the Netcool Solution-Pak, leading organizations are seeing a dramatic shift in their operational productivity and service quality in a matter of days. This means an immediate reduction in Mean-Time-To-Detect, Mean-Time-To-Restore, operational cost, and overall business impact and downtime.
Why tolerate event overload and impacted service quality?
Moogsoft AIOps helps modern IT Operations and DevOps teams become smarter, faster, and more effective by providing technological supplementation that automates mundane tasks, enables scalability, and frees up human beings to do what they do best — ideate, create, and innovate. Start your free trial today by clicking here.